If you’re in a rush, the best outdoor blanket for picnics and camping is the BEARZ Outdoor Pocket Blanket/Compact Beach Blanket.
Everyone needs a good outdoor blanket. Whether you’re a frequent camper or a weekend warrior, outdoor blankets come in handy in a variety of circumstances. Thanks to science, most outdoor blankets can fold up to convenient carrying sizes, making transporting a breeze.
Whether you want a blanket for camping, picnics, trips to the beach, or even for going to a music festival, you’re in luck. I’ve found the top 5 outdoor blankets that you could use to make your outdoor activities much comfier.
Best Outdoor Blanket: Our Top Recommendations
- BEARZ Outdoor Pocket Beach Blanket (Best Blanket Overall)
- Kelty Bestie Blanket (Best Lightweight Outdoor Blanket)
- Roebury Beach Blanket (Best For Kids And Family Camping)
- Rumpl The Original Puffy (Best Waterproof Outdoor Blanket)
- Oceas Outdoor Waterproof Blanket (Best For Large Groups)
BEARZ – Outdoor Pocket Blanket/Compact Beach Blanket
The BEARZ Outdoor Pocket Blanket/Compact Beach Blanket is a stellar outdoor blanket that you can use for a variety of purposes. From the beach to a picnic blanket to a music festival, this outdoor blanket is very versatile.
This blanket folds down to a size that fits in the palm of your hand, so you never have to worry about having enough room when packing. With the included carrying bag and clip, you will find that you could take this outdoor blanket anywhere you go.
- Very compact – folds down to the size of your palm, then slides into the included carrying bag for secure storage.
- Carrying clip means you can hook it on your bag for fast packing.
- Made of durable, waterproof material. This blanket is perfect for picnics, beaches, music festivals, and even as a ground tarp when camping.
- Measures 55″ x 60″ when unfolded, which is large enough for two people to fit comfortably.
- The pockets in each corner allow you to place sand or rocks to keep it in place and make sure it won’t blow away in the wind.
- Variety of colors – green, red, pink, blue, yellow, and even camouflage. Everyone can find an outdoor blanket that fits their style.
- The design is more like a tarp than a blanket, so best for clearing the ground.
- Sand can get in this blanket and requires a wash.
Best for: campers who want a blanket that can pack up quickly and easily in the palm of their hand.
Kelty – Bestie Blanket
The Kelty Bestie Blanket is a warm blanket that’s practically an essential in your arsenal of camping gear. Not only can you lay it down on the ground for an outdoor picnic, but you can also wrap it around yourself when sleeping to keep you nice and warm.
It is made with Cloudloft insulation that is super soft and super warm. Not to mention, this insulation is very lightweight, which is perfect for backpacking. This outdoor blanket also comes with a stuff sack that has a convenient handle, making transport that much more comfortable.
- The super-soft (yet durable) fabric allows you to sit comfortably on a variety of terrains, including grass, sand, rocks, and more.
- Kelty’s lightweight Cloudloft insulation keeps you warm without weighing you down.
- Measuring 75.5″ x 42.25″, this blanket is long enough to wrap around the shoulders of you and a friend.
- This blanket’s stuff sack has a sturdy handle, which makes carrying it easy.
- Lastly, this blanket is super easy to clean for when you inevitably get it dirty.
- Not optimal for sub-zero temperatures. Bring a warm sleeping bag or jacket in that case.
Best for: campers who want a lightweight blanket that’s large yet warm.
Roebury – Beach Blanket (Sand Proof & Outdoor Picnic Blanket)
The Roebury Beach Blanket is an outdoor blanket made for the whole family.
One thing I love about this blanket is that it’s phthalate- and BPA-free. That means it has no chemical smell and is safe for kids and babies to enjoy.
Three water-resistant, padded, and washable layers make this an excellent blanket for all kinds of outdoor activities. To make this outdoor bag even more convenient, it folds and zips up into a convenient carrying tote with a long shoulder strap and big pocket.
- The three layers provide superior comfort and durability.
- The bottom layer is water-resistant, the middle layer is padded, and the top layer is soft and washable.
- Family-friendly – free of Phthalates and BPA, with no chemical smell.
- Folds and zips up into a convenient carrying tote with a shoulder strap and pocket for easy transport.
- Easy to clean – The top layer can be wiped down, and the entire blanket is machine washable.
- Measures 55″ x 70″ – large enough to fit the whole family when on the beach or out for a picnic.
- This blanket’s padding might not be thick enough for all terrains.
- Although water-resistant, it’s still a blanket. Avoid submerging it in water or using it as a rain shelter.
Best for: families with children who want a chemical-free blanket that’s easy and safe.
Rumpl – The Original Puffy
The Rumpl Original Puffy blanket is an excellent option that can be used for a variety of purposes. Since it’s constructed like a sleeping bag or puffy jacket, this blanket will even keep you warm and dry in any cold or wet environment.
One major area that Rumpl shines in is variety. You can buy it in three different sizes and eleven different colors.
To make packing less stressful, it comes with a stuff sack. This water-resistant bag will compress the blanket to a size that is optimal for backpacking.
- Machine washable and dryer safe – because it’s made with the same insulated, synthetic materials as sleeping bags and puffy jackets.
- The included stuff sack is water-resistant and compresses the blanket down to a tiny size for packing.
- The materials make this blanket durable, insulated, waterproof, and resistant to odors, stains, and pet hair.
- It comes in three sizes – throw, one person, and two-person. Everyone can find a size that fits their needs.
- Eleven different colors allow everyone can find a blanket to match their style.
- This outdoor blanket is slightly more expensive than the other outdoor blankets.
- Might be a little weighty for backpacking, but still a comfortable blanket to use.
Best for: campers who expect some water, or want a variety of color options.
Oceas – Outdoor Waterproof Blanket
The Oceas Outdoor Waterproof Blanket is an excellent blanket for large parties or families who want to cover several people at a time. Its large size even makes it perfect for bundling up by yourself on cold nights.
This outdoor blanket is 100% waterproof and will not allow water to seep through the blanket. It also has a fleece side that is extra warm and soft.
Like the others, it comes with a waterproof carrying bag for safe transport.
- The outside durable and waterproof material, while the inside has a soft & warm fleece lining.
- Measures 79″ x 58″ – large enough to wrap around a few adults or sit your group for a picnic.
- The lightweight design and waterproof carrying bag make this an option for backpacking.
- 100% waterproof – water will not seep through the blanket at all, so it is perfect for beach days.
- Oceas’ 30-day money-back guarantee and free one-year replacement warranty protect your investment.
- Because of its large size, this outdoor blanket can be hard to fold.
- This blanket specializes in water resistance, not cold weather, so bundle up.
Best for: large parties or those who want to make sure they stay dry.
What Can I Use an Outdoor Blanket For?
Outdoor blankets serve a wide variety of uses. Anyone who finds themselves spending a lot of time outdoors should have one ready to go whenever they head out on their next adventure.
If you’re not sure precisely what you could be using an outdoor blanket for, check out all these handy uses!
Let’s go ahead state the obvious. An outdoor blanket is great to throw down and lay out your picnic spread without worrying about getting dirt or bugs in your food.
With an outdoor blanket, you won’t even have to worry about finding any empty picnic table!
Instead of laying out on a towel the next time you go to the beach, lay on an outdoor blanket.
Not only are most outdoor blankets water-resistant, but they are more spacious. This gives you more room to spread out your belongings instead of having to leave them in the sand.
If you are an avid music festival goer, you will get great use out of a compact, portable outdoor blanket.
Anytime dancing to your favorite music gets tiring, throw down your blanket, and have a seat. You won’t have to worry about dirt, grass (or anything else) ruining your outfit.
With little ones, it can be hard to find a safe place to put them down when holding them starts wearing on your arms.
A kid-friendly outdoor blanket gives you have a safe spot to put them down and supervise them while playing with their toys.
With such versatility, it’s even a great way to minimize the camping gear you have to pack when backpacking.
Outdoor blankets are an adventure enthusiast’s best friend. They serve a wide variety of purposes, and the right one can be used in a wide range of outdoor conditions, even wet and cold ones.
If you haven’t bought yourself an outdoor blanket yet, what are you waiting for? With all the great options I found, there’s definitely an outdoor blanket that fits your needs.
For most campers, I recommend the BEARZ Outdoor Pocket Blanket.
This outdoor blanket has everything you need, including a large size, ways to anchor it down, and durable, waterproof material. When you combine its 6 color options supreme fold-ability, buying this outdoor blanket is a no brainer.