If you’re in a rush, the best dog backpack for hiking in 2019 is theK9 Sport Sack.
Have you ever been on a hike with your dog where they run out of energy halfway through, and leaving you to carry them? Or maybe you went on a hike where you wanted to bring your dog, but just didn’t think it was a good idea?
In fact, I know the struggle. That’s why I’ve found dog backpack carriers to make this problem a thing of the past. Read on to learn more about my top five favorite dog carrier backpacks.
Best Dog Backpack Carriers For Hiking: Our Top Picks
Pawfect Pets – Soft-Sided Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs and Cats
The Pawfect Pets Soft-Sided Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs and Cats is a convenient way to bring your pets with you when you travel. Not only is it airline approved, but it’s also great for taking your small dog on long hikes!
The best feature of this backpack carrier is the top window that allows your pet to look around. It can also be rolled back so your dog can stick their head out. With the handy leash hook, you can feel safe knowing your pet won’t be going anywhere.
- Being approved by most major airlines, this pet carrier backpack makes getting through airport security a breeze.
- Two windows that allow your pet plenty of space to view the world. The top one can be rolled back so your dog can stick their head out while still in the carrier on your back.
- This pet carrier backpack has a convenient leash hook to make sure your pet stays inside even when you have the window rolled back.
- This bag’s padded straps and back-rested design give you maximum comfort.
- The inside padding can be removed and washed in case of leaks, spills, or accidents.
- With larger dogs, the bottom of the carrier may begin to sag or tear with extended use.
Best for: pet lovers who want to bring their furry friends on an airplane with them.
K9 – Sport Sack
The K9 Sport Sack is a veterinarian-approved way to carry your dog on long hikes. While most backpack carriers cater to small dogs, K9 does a great job of include larger dogs, too. This bag is available in all kinds of sizes.
There are several features of this backpack that make it easy for you and your dog. The mesh sides allow for ventilation, and the padding on the back and straps help distribute the weight evenly. Both you and your dog will be comfortable on long hikes with this pet carrier backpack.
- This backpack carrier is not just for small breeds. The K9 Sport Sack comes in a variety of sizes that promise to fit almost any kind of dog.
- There are mesh areas on the sides of this backpack carrier that aid in ventilation and help keep you and your pooch from getting too hot.
- Trust that your dog will remain calm and comfortable, thanks to their exclusive veterinarian approval.
- The padded straps and back make carrying your dog comfortable, no matter what size they are.
- This backpack pet carrier comes in a variety of colors, so you have plenty of options when you checkout.
- While this is a great bag, the zippers are not the best.
- Pocket options are limited, so this might not be your all-in-one bag.
Best for: dog lovers who want their pet relaxed in an easy-to-carry bag.
PetAmi – Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Cats and Dogs
The PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Cats and Dogs is a great way to take your dog on adventures in the great outdoors. With mesh windows on all three sides of the backpacker carrier, your pet can look out and get plenty of air to cool off.
The best part about this pet carrier backpack is that there are features that make it extra secure. Things like a small leash attached to the inside of the carrier and safety buckles on the zippers make sure your pet stays in place for the entire trip.
- The bag’s safety buckles lock the zippers shut, keeping your pet secure.
- The inside leash also prevents any escape artist pet from running off.
- This backpack carrier comes with an area to place your pet’s ID for safe travels, as well as a convenient clip-on collapsible travel bowl.
- Multiple mesh windows give your dog excellent airflow to cool off and gives them the ability to peer around.
- The back and shoulder straps have extra padding to make carrying your dog easier on your back. There is also a stomach strap to help distribute the weight on your back.
- There are extra pockets on this backpack carrier for you to put your pet’s water, food, and treats.
- The cardboard bottom is kind of sharp and could irritate your back on long hikes.
- Support isn’t that great, so larger dogs might sag after a while.
Best for: owners who want to guarantee that their dog will be safe and secure within their bag.
Petsfit – Soft Pet Backpack Carrier for Hiking
The Petsfit Soft Pet Backpack Carrier for Hiking is a great backpack carrier for taking dogs up to 15 pounds on hikes and trips. The sturdy bottom supports their weight while the mesh siding allows them to get nice and comfy while looking out.
This backpack comes with two buckles that strap against your chest and waist for extra comfort. Not to mention, to make sure your pet is safe and secure, there is a safety strap to make sure they don’t get far, even if the windows are open.
- This backpack carrier includes padding along the back and the straps that make carrying your dog on your back much more comfortable.
- This backpack also has waist and chest buckles that take some of the load off of your back.
- With four mesh windows, your dog will have plenty of room to look around. Two of the windows can also fold back so they can stick their head out to look around.
- The safety strap on the inside can keep your pet safely inside, even when the windows are open.
- This backpack carrier is mesh expect for a sturdy, flat bottom that supports dogs up to 15 pounds.
- The bottom of this carrier is not the most comfortable on this list.
- The zipper isn’t exactly military-grade, so some sneaky dogs might be able to slide their way out.
Best for: small dog owners who want their dog to feel like they’re poking their head out the window of a car.
NICREW – Legs Out Front Dog Carrier
The NICREW Legs Out Front Dog Carrier allows you to comfortably tote your dog on the front of your body while hiking. This is a stellar option for small dogs, as well as anxious dogs that need the added comfort of the bag fitting snugly around them.
Many dogs seem to love this option because it allows them to see what you see and gives you more chances to interact with them while you are hiking. It is easy to place them in and get them out of and is very secure, so you don’t have to worry about them falling out.
- Some users have reported that the snug fit of this carrier has a calming effect on their nervous or anxious dogs and helps them stay calm in public.
- This carrier was designed to carry your dog snuggly against the front of your body so they can see what you see and you can interact with them better.
- The bag’s breathable mesh material helps your dog stay nice and cool.
- It’s easy to get your dog in and out of this carrier. NICREW’s zipper and velcro design are top-notch.
- There is padding all along the straps to make carrying your pooch much more comfortable.
- Even though this carrier backpack comes in a variety of sizes, the XL size of this carrier does not hold a dog over 25 pounds.
- At first, your dog might not be used to being carried like a baby. Until they’re used to it, they might hang in the bag “like a sack of potatoes.”
Best for: small dog owners who want to pet their fur baby while hiking a trail.
What to Look For When Buying a Dog Backpack Carrier
When you decide to buy a dog backpack carrier to make traveling with your furry friends more manageable, it can be hard to figure out what your dog needs. To make choosing the best dog backpack carrier easier for you, read up on these crucial aspects to look for to tailor your choice to your dog.
The first and maybe most important aspect you should look for in a dog backpack carrier is the size. Naturally, you want to get the right size for your dog’s breed. Getting a backpack carrier that is too small can make traveling hard on both you and your dog.
And while getting one that is on the larger size will give them extra room, you don’t want them to have so much space that they can’t poke their head out the top. Do some research and double-check your dog’s measurements.
The next thing to consider is the design of the backpack carrier. You obviously want there to be plenty of ventilation for your pet to breath and cool off but do you want one where your dog can see all around? Or are they too excited if they have a lot to look at and need fewer windows to calm them down?
Dog backpack carriers come in a variety of designs and have varying amounts of window space. You know your dog’s limits the best, so make sure to choose one with a build that fits their personality.
The last thing to look for when buying a dog backpack carrier is any additional features. Some carriers have extra features that can make traveling with your dog even more straightforward. This includes ID tags, pockets, or even travel bowls. Take these bonuses into consideration when buying a dog backpack carrier.
Why You Should Buy a Dog Backpack Carrier
If you travel with your dog often, a dog backpack carrier can make things a lot easier on both you and your dog.
For instance, if your dog pulls on the leash when walking, this can become very tedious on long hikes. Save yourself the frustration by picking up a backpack carrier. This’ll allow you to take them on the trip while cutting out the hassle of leash pulling.
Not to mention, smaller dogs take longer to cover more ground than bigger dogs. Long hikes can be very tiresome to them so having a backpack carrier to throw them in is always great in case they give out halfway down the trail.
Last but not least is to aid in your dog’s health problems. As dogs age and start having trouble with their back or hips, it can be rough going out on hikes. However, this does not mean they don’t want to go on adventures with you! A dog backpack carrier can make this a non-issue and allow you both to enjoy trips.
A dog backpack carrier can make hiking with your dog more comfortable than ever before. It’s great not to have to worry about your pet when hiking while still enjoying their company.
The best dog backpack carrier for hiking in 2019 is the K9 Sport Sack. It is very versatile and has options for breeds small and large. Not to mention, it is veterinarian-approved, so you can rest assured that it will be comfy for your dog and that they will enjoy their trip.