If you’re in a rush, the best tent waterproofing spray is the Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent.
Nothing ruins a camping trip quicker than your tent and other essential gear getting wet. After all, no one wants to get wet while they sleeping.
To prevent this, you can use tent waterproofing spray. Waterproofing spray not only protects your gear, but it can also restore old waterproof coatings that are starting to fade.
Best Tent Waterproofing Spray: Our Top 5 Choices
Without further ado, here are the top five tent waterproofing sprays for 2019. I scoured the internet to find the best products available, and now I’ll share them with you.
No matter if you’re a hiking beginner or an outdoors pro, these sprays will keep you nice and dry.
Kiwi – Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent
The Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent is a stellar waterproofing spray to use when camping. One package comes with two cans, so you will have more than enough to waterproof all of your gear. Not to mention, one can is enough for two coats on a seven-person tent.
You can waterproof tents, tarps, coats, shoes, backpacks, and more with this waterproofing spray. It even has a nice mist applicator that makes waterproofing a breeze.
Kiwi’s spray makes water wick right off the surface instead of soaking in. When camping, this waterproofing spray has the potential to be your most necessary tool.
- This pack comes with two cans, so you waterproof all of your gear and keep one for backup.
- One can is enough to cover a seven-person tent with two coats or several different items of clothing and/or shoes. No matter what you’re waterproofing, you’ll have enough on hand.
- This waterproofing spray keeps water out of things like tents, tarps, shoes, jackets, backpacks, sleeping bags, and much more.
- The mist applicator guarantees an even layer and doesn’t accidentally drip any spray along the surface.
- The performance of this spray is top-notch, meaning water gets thrown right off your fabric.
- This spray may stain certain fabrics, especially if it’s white. Do a spot test before applying to check.
- Kiwi’s spray works great, but it requires you to wait the full time to achieve full waterproofing.
Best for: campers who want to waterproof all of their gear, and make sure it lasts.
GEAR AID – Seam Grip TF Tent Fabric Sealer for Waterproofing
The GEAR AID Seam Grip TF Tent Fabric Sealer for Waterproofing is an excellent tool for waterproofing your tent and other essential gear. With a foam applicator brush tip, it is easy to spread the sealer out into a thin layer that protects everything from water.
Not only does one tube go a long way, but this product dries clear so you won’t have to worry about a mess. The combination of transparent color and foam applicator tip makes this a top choice for repairing existing waterproofing.
- A tube of this tent fabric sealer can cover 85 sq. ft. of material. One bottle is all you need to waterproofing an entire tent.
- Compatible with polyurethane coating, so you can quickly fix any existing waterproofing that’s fading or chipping away.
- The foam applicator brush on the tip allows you to easily brush a thin coat of product on the surface of your tent.
- This fabric sealer does a superb job on tent floors, rain flies, tarps, and much more.
- Best of all, this stuff dries clear. You won’t be able to tell there’s a coating on your tent.
- Although the applicator works well, this stuff is thick and takes a little elbow grease.
- The texture makes it so that this sealant is best on seams instead of large pieces of fabric.
Best for: people who want to repair old or peeling coating, or seal up existing seams.
Nikwax – Tent & Gear Waterproofing & Solarproofing Spray
Nikwax’s tent spray is terrific for not only waterproofing your tent but for protecting it from the sun, as well. This spray helps prolong the life of your gear while also reviving old equipment that you may not otherwise be able to use.
Also, this spray cleans dirt and grime off your tent while you apply it. That means there’s only one simple step to waterproofing your tent, saving you time. This waterproofing spray covers a large area and is very easy to apply.
- Beyond waterproofing – this spray sun-proofs your gear, as well.
- It works well on tents, rain flies, backpacks, awnings, tarps, umbrellas, and more.
- Because this product is water-based and biodegradable, it’s safe and environmentally friendly. It contains no PFCs, VOCs, optical brighteners, or added scent.
- Straightforward application – Nikwax removes dirt and grime from the material, while also adding waterproofing.
- A bottle of this waterproofing spray is enough to cover a seven-person tent, with some to spare.
- Waterproofing is not as durable as other products.
- Might stain lighter color materials. Spot check before using it!
Best for: people who want sun-proofing and waterproofing in one environmentally friendly product.
Atsko – Silicone Water-Guard
The Atsko Silicone Water-Guard is a killer waterproofing spray for all of your camping gear. You can use it on tents, rain flies, umbrellas, shoes, jackets, and much more. Don’t worry about uneven patches, because this sprays evenly over the entire surface.
Since it dries clear, you won’t have to worry about making a mess or highlighting any mistakes. Not to mention, one can is enough to coat several pairs of shoes or items of clothing. This waterproofing spray is also great for anyone operating on a small budget.
- Easy to apply over the entire surface area of your camping gear.
- It does not produce a bad smell like other waterproofing sprays.
- Dries clear to the point where you can’t even tell there is a coating on your camping gear.
- Great for waterproofing shoes, tents, rain flies, umbrellas, jackets, and much more.
- One can is enough to coat several garments of clothes, a car cover, or a whole tent.
- One layer of coating is all it takes to waterproof your gear instead of two.
- An uneven layer of Atsako might cause some slight discoloration. Spot check before using.
Best for: people who want to waterproof their garments like jackets or shoes.
303 – Fabric Guard For Outdoor Fabrics
303’s Fabric Guard is an excellent waterproofing spray to protect your camping gear. You get a large bottle that you can use to spray everything from tents to umbrellas to shoes to cushions, and much more.
This product works well to waterproof your gear, as well as protect and enhance its color. It is a very safe waterproofing spray to use because it is safe to use on a variety of different fibers. You will have enough product to waterproof several things with just one bottle.
- Works well on all kinds of outdoor fabric: upholstery, cushions, umbrellas, life jackets, suede, canvas, shoes, and much more.
- Not only does this waterproofing spray keep your items dry, but it also helps the color of your belongings last longer.
- This waterproofing spray is safe for synthetic and natural fibers, so you don’t have to worry about ruining your gear.
- One bottle of this waterproofing spray includes plenty of juice. You’ll have enough to cover several different things.
- You’ll find that the colors of your items are not only unaffected by this spray, but some people find this product to enhance their colors.
- Excellent spray, disagreeable odor. Make sure you spray this one outside or in a well-ventilated area.
- The large bottle makes the application a little more challenging.
Best for: people who want to protect and improve the color of their products, while also waterproofing them.
Why You Need Waterproofing Spray
Most of us don’t want to get wet when we’re camping, especially while we’re inside our tents. Keeping water out is just one of the many reasons you need to add waterproofing spray to your arsenal of camping tools.
Wear and Tear
As you use your tent more and more, it will experience more wear and tear. And the more wear and tear it sees, the more likely any waterproof coat that is already on it will wear off and water will start getting in. Use a waterproofing spray to prolong your gear’s life.
Not only that, but the seams of your tent will start to wear down and come part. And seams are a critical area that lets water in already. Waterproofing spray can help ensure that your seals are nice and tight, keeping water out.
Many waterproofing sprays also help prevent sun damage. The sun’s UV rays can weaken the material of your tent and gear, making it thinner over any time. Giving it a barrier can defend it from sun damage as well as protect the colors from fading.
How to Waterproof Your Tent
You’ve got the waterproof spray, now what?
Before you begin, you have to do some prep work. Start by washing your tent to get dirt and grime off of it. If you place the spray on top of dirt and grime, it will lead to a bad seal and will not work correctly.
Once your tent is clean, set up the tent (if you haven’t already) and begin to spray the tent down. Make sure to spray every square foot that you can. Do so as evenly as possible and give extra attention to waterproofing the seams.
When you are done with the waterproofing spray, all you have to do is let it dry. Cure the tent for the length of time the instructions tell you before you pack it up or use it.
At this point, you may want to consider an additional layer (or sealant) to protect your seams, but that’s not always necessary.
How to Make Your Waterproofing Last
Now that you’ve waterproofed your tent, you want to make sure it lasts. You don’t want to have to go through this whole process every time you want to use your tent. So, once you have let it dry and cure properly, make sure to store it properly.
Keep your tent in a cool, dark place, like a closet. Avoid leaving it out in direct sunlight. And if you go a long time without using it, make sure to check it regularly for mold.
To really care for your tent, never put it in the washing machine. Make sure you repair any damage to the waterproofing as soon as it happens before things get worse. Be careful of your tent’s condition, and your waterproofing will last.
Not to mention, keep a spare can of waterproofing spray on hand at all times, so you won’t have anything to worry about!
(By the way, if you don’t yet own a tent, you can find some great choices by clicking here)
Make sure you’re never caught off guard in the rain again with the best tent waterproofing spray: Kiwi’s Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent. It does a great job at waterproofing a variety of materials including tents, tarps, shoes, jackets, and much more.
Imagine never having to worry about getting wet while camping again. Sounds great to me!
Be proactive and use this waterproofing spray before you leave and keep an extra can on hand at all times for emergencies. Kiwi’s Camp Dry Water Repellent is the best tent waterproofing spray you can take on your next camping excursion.