Ready to head out on now? The best camping mattress for couples is is the ALPS Mountaineering Velocity PVC-Free Air Bed.
We all know how important sleep is, yet sometimes it is hard to get a quality night’s rest. Especially camping.
So whether you are couples camping or out with the entire family and friends, everyone is in need of some quality sleep and a quality mattress for couples.
We’ve done all the hard work for you and picked out the best of the best for a good nights sleep with your significant other!
Your back will thank you!
Best Camping Mattress for Couples: Our Top Recommendations
Best Camping Air Mattress for Couples:
- ALPS Mountaineering Velocity PVC-Free Air Bed (Best Overall Camping Air Mattress for Couples)
- Coleman Quickbed Airbed (Best Budget Camping Air Mattress)
- Lightspeed Outdoors 2 Person PVC-Free Air Bed (Highest Weight Limit Air Mattress for Couples)
- REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed – Queen (Best Insulated Air Mattress for Couples)
- Etekcity Camping Air Mattress (Best For Restless Sleeping Couples)
- SoundAsleep Camping Series Eco-Friendly Air Mattress (Best Couples Air Mattress For Back Support)
- SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress (Best Premium Option for Couples)
Best Camping Mattress Pads for Couples:
- NEMO Roamer Sleeping Pad – Double (Best Overall Camping Mattress Pad for Couples)
- KingCamp Luxury 3D Double Self Inflating (Best Budget Mattress Pad for Couples)
- Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad (Best Couples Mattress for Extreme Cold Camping)
Still confused? Compare them all by size, price, materials, and more!
ALPS Mountaineering Velocity PVC-Free Air Bed
Sizes: Twin, Queen | Pump Type: Rechargeable Air Pump | Weight: 3.75 to 5.5 lbs | Weight Limit: 250 to 500 lbs | Additional Features: Rechargeable Pump
The ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed is our top pick. Made with Polyester oxford fabric and a coil system, it makes it durable and comfortable at the same time.
But beyond that we also the love the rechargeable pump. Too many battery pumps fail, and who wants to be manually blowing up your air mattress if you don’t have to?
Coming in two sizes, Twin or Queen, the ALPS Mountaineering Velocity Air Bed is not only lightweight, but can hold 250 and 500 lbs respectively. You really can’t go wrong.
- Two options in Twin or Queen – both of which can hold 250 and 500 lbs respectively
- Comes with a rechargeable air pump, so you don’t have to buy one
- Made with a PVC-free lightweight polyester oxford fabric
- Includes stuff sack
- Lightweight coming in at only 3.5-5 lbs
- Slightly mid-range pricing, compared to budget friendly options
Coleman Quickbed Airbed
Sizes: Twin, Full, Queen | Pump Type: Manual | Weight: 5.4 to 8.1 lbs | Weight Limit: 300 to 500 lbs | Additional Features: Antimicrobial plush top, double-lock valve
Coleman makes good camping products at an even better value.
The Coleman Quickbed is no different. Not only can it support up to 500 lbs, but only weights 8.1 lbs and folds up nicely.
It’ll hold standard full-size sheets, though you’ll need to get the pump separately.
As with any airbed, leaks are common, but as a budget friendly option, you know what you are getting into.
- Budget friendly
- Fits full-size sheets
- Compatible with various air bed pumps
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty in the event you get a lemon
- Pump sold separately
- Workmanship isn’t as good as other air mattresses and leaks are common
Best for: Those looking for a camping air mattress on a budget
Etekcity – Camping Air Mattress
Sizes: Queen | Pump Type: Electric air pump | Weight: 8.7 lbs | Weight Limit: 450 lbs | Additional Features: Multi-use valve, air pump
Although the ALPS Mountaineering air mattress is my favorite, Etekcity’s comes in a close second. It’s slightly less comfortable but is a bit more affordable.
The first flaw is that this air mattress is made out of PVC, not TPU. It’s a durable material but makes this heavier than LightSpeed’s mattress. It comes with a two-year warranty, giving a strong testament to its robustness.
The reason that I ranked this mattress so high is the fact that it’s both leak-proof and almost silent.
Some other air mattresses tend to be rather noisy when you’re moving around them, but you won’t have that problem here. Regardless of how much I shift my body, I don’t hear a peep from this mattress.
It also comes with a rechargeable electric pump to ensure that you don’t run into any problems when trying to set it up.
Overall, this is a reliable choice if you’re looking for a more affordable alternative to the Lightspeed Outdoors model.
- A two-year warranty lets you sleep well at night knowing your mattress is guaranteed.
- Leak-proof – so you won’t wake up to a deflated mattress.
- Extremely silent even for restless sleepers like me.
- Includes a rechargeable electric pump.
- Priced well for such a firm mattress.
- Made out of PVC rather than TPU, making this one a bit heavier.
Best for: restless sleepers who don’t want to keep their camping mates up with their nocturnal movement, and don’t mind the extra weight.
Lightspeed Outdoors – 2 Person PVC-Free Air Bed
Sizes: Queen | Pump Type: Electric air pump | Weight: 5.9 lbs | Weight Limit: 600 lbs | Additional Features: PVC-free air mattress, Battery Operated Pump
Lightspeed Outdoors is always one of my go-to manufacturers when I’m looking for new gear for an upcoming camping trip. I have pretty high standards, but their air mattresses always meet (and exceed) my expectations.
I’ve never been disappointed yet, and this model was no exception.
One of the things that makes this particular air mattress the best is that its dimensions will fit any queen-sized sheets. This cuts down on your expenditure since you won’t have to buy new sheets just for the air mattress.
It also comes with a carrying bag for easy transport and a high-quality battery pump that will help you get the whole thing filled up in no time at all.
The fact that this package includes pretty much everything you need means you’ll spend less in the long run.
- Any queen sheets fit the air mattress, allowing you to use the sheets you have at home.
- It comes with a carry bag for packing convenience.
- Folds up nice and small, which is crucial for camping.
- A battery-powered pump is included in the package, so you don’t have to buy one.
- Made out of TPU (rather than PVC) which helps you cut down on weight.
- Costco sells a similar mattress at a much lower price. BUT, the Costco version is designed differently and is nowhere near as comfortable or durable.
Best for: any camper. This air mattress is the whole package!
SoundAsleep – Camping Series Eco-Friendly Air Mattress
Sizes: Twin, Queen | Pump Type: Electric air pump | Weight: 9 to 13.6 lbs | Weight Limit: 300 to 400 lbs | Additional Features: Air pump
This air mattress is on the pricier side of the spectrum, but it’s well worth it. SoundAsleep is one of the top manufacturers today, and this mattress is no exception.
It comes in two sizes — queen and twin. The twin variant is actually quite affordable in comparison to the larger model, but you can get whichever one fits your needs best.
The twin saves on weight but might be too small for some big fellas (like me). The queen is good if you’ve got a plus one or have a larger group.
Much like the Etekcity air mattress, this model from SoundAsleep comes with a rechargeable electric pump. This ensures that inflation and deflation are a stress-free experience for all users.
It also comes with a carry bag for easy transport such as when you’re hiking to your campsite.
- I-Beam air coils provide superior support, letting you
- Two sizes allow you to choose a price based on your needs.
- The rechargeable electric pump inflates the mattress in 3 minutes.
- A 1-year warranty keeps you sleeping well through all seasons.
- Extra thick Eco-Friendly PVC is rugged and resilient.
- Carry bag makes it easy to transport this air mattress.
- The queen variant is pricier than other models on this list, but still high quality.
Best for: campers with a looser budget who want top-notch back support.
SoundAsleep – Dream Series Air Mattress
Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King | Pump Type: Built-in electric air pump | Weight: 12.3 to 23.2 lbs | Weight Limit: 300 to 500 lbs | Additional Features: Waterproof top, internal pump
SoundAsleep is a premium brand, and its Dream Series is the cream of the crop. I know I said that the previous option was pretty premium, but the SoundAsleep Dream Series takes the meaning of premium to a whole new level.
This series is available in four sizes from twin to king. This series is available in four sizes from twin to king. It’s not very common to see king-size air mattresses for camping. But, I must admit that the element of luxury that it brings is undoubtedly enjoyable.
As you can imagine, this level of quality doesn’t come cheap, but it’s well worth the cost if you ask me.
SoundAsleep is committed to providing sound sleep, so they give you a full year warranty. But, I don’t anticipate that you’ll need to use it since this air mattress is absolutely reliable.
The one-click internal pump is definitely top-notch. It inflates and deflates the mattress without any hassle in minutes. It really doesn’t get any easier than this.
Its raised, double-height construction means that you’ll be higher off the ground and thus warmer. Some tents have pretty thin floors, which isn’t a good idea. Getting a taller air mattress will ensure that the cold ground doesn’t leech the warmth out of your body.
- Four sizes to choose from – all the way up to king-sized.
- One-year warranty promises that this mattress will pull through.
- The internal pump requires no annoying setup or hoses.
- Double-height construction keeps you off the ground (warm & dry).
- SureGrip material on the bottom reduces sliding more than any other air mattress.
- Not exactly affordable, but well worth the price
- Bigger and more cumbersome, but much more comfortable than lighter mattresses.
Best for: campers who prioritize comfort and ease above price and weight.
REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed – Queen
Sizes: Queen | Pump Type: Manual | Weight: 5.8 lbs | Weight Limit: N/A | Additional Features: Internal Insulation for Comfort up to 40 degrees, Includes Manual Pump
So far, we haven’t looked at insulated air mattresses. The REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Mattress comes with an R-value rating of 2.6 meaning that it’ll provide warmth for shoulder seasons when it isn’t quite freezing, but close.
It is a manual pump option, but for a queen only weighs 5.8 lbs (not too shabby).
- Insulated R-value of 2.6 for added warmth and comfort up to 40 degrees
- Comes with a stuff sack and included manual pump
- Welded seams enhance durability
- You’ll want to upgrade the manual pump
Best for: Campers who want some insulation, but don’t want to pay winter insulation prices.
NEMO Roamer Sleeping Pad – Double
Sizes: Full | Pump Type: Self-inflating | Weight: 7.5 lbs | R-Value: 6 | Weight Limit: Not Listed | Additional Features: Self-Inflating, Lifetime Warranty
NEMO makes quality camping products, and this is no different.
Air mattresses are fine and dandy. They can be a lightweight and easy way to get a good night’s sleep camping. But mattress pads on the hand – that is where true comfort is at.
The Innovative Flow Core construction and its excellent R-value rating of 6, getting a great night’s sleep is easy. It has been described as “better than a hotel.”
- Self-inflating – simply setup and leave for an hour, give it a few breaths and you are good to go!
- Insulation R-value of 6 will keep you warm in cold 3-season and even winter weather
- Ultimate comfort that feels like a quality memory foam
- Lifetime warranty, means that if anything goes wrong, you are covered
- At only 7.5 lbs it can be considered for backpacking
- Pricey, but considering the warranty it provides great value
Best for: comfortable sleeping and insulation from 3-season weather.
Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad
Sizes: Double, Queen | Pump Type: Self-inflating/Mini Pump | Weight: 7.5 lbs to 12.6 lbs | R-Value: 8.1 | Weight Limit: up to 660 lbs | Additional Features: Self-Inflating
The Exped MegaMat comes in a Long Wide Double, Medium Double, and Queen size.
It is another self-inflating mattress pad made with a 3D construction and a high grade polyurethane foam offers insulation at an R-value of 8.1. This means that it is made for extremely cold winter camping.
A new and improved deflation valve lets air out fast, for packing away quickly. It is also extremely comfortable.
- Self-inflates in just a few minutes and with a few pumps to top it off
- Top notch winter insulation with an R-value of 8.1
- Comes in multiple sizes and lengths.
- Lightweight, yet extremely comfortable.
- Includes stuff sack, repair kit, and mini-pup for faster inflation
- Pricier than the other mattress pads on this list
Best for: Extremely cold weather camping.
KingCamp Luxury 3D Double Self Inflating Mattress Pad
Sizes: Queen | Pump Type: Self-inflating | Weight: 10.6 lbs | R-Value: 9.5 | Weight Limit: Not Listed | Additional Features: Self-Inflating
If you are looking for a wallet friendly mattress pad, look no further than KingCamp’s Luxury 3D Self Inflating Mattress Pad.
Made with an environmentally friendly TPU coating, and top notch insulation, with an R-value of 9.5 will keep you quite warm.
It has 2 Boston inflatable air valves for quick and easy inflation and deflation. You can leave the mattress pad out to self-inflate for an hour or give it a few pumps manually.
- Great value for a 3D couples mattress pad
- Self-inflates in a little over an hour
- Superior insulation with an R-value of 9.5
- Big enough that it qualifies as a queen
- Hard to get back into the bag when finished
Best for: Those who want a great wallet friendly couples camping mattress.
Best Camping Mattress for Couples – Compared
How to Choose a Couples Camping Mattress
When it comes to picking the best camping air mattress for couples, there are several things that need to be considered before you make your purchase decision.
Mattress Type: Air Mattress vs. Sleeping Pad
Not all air mattresses are created equal.
There are different types of air mattresses and sleeping pads that you can choose from, and each type comes with its own unique set of pros and cons.
Air Pump Mattresses
They are comfier, keep you higher off the ground, and are even better for children.
However, you’ll need to carry a pump along with you if you plan on using such a mattress which will add to the weight. Even the mattress in itself will likely be denser than most self-inflated mattresses. – So not ideal for backpackers.
On top of that, if it is an electric air pump, you need to make sure that you can blow it up with a battery pack or your car. Making sure you have the right power source and connection is critical.
Another drawback for air pump mattresses, is that they are liable to leak and deflate during the night or even compressing due to cold weather.
They too have their own advantages and drawbacks. The most significant benefit of using them is the fact that they’re very light and easy to transport since you can simply roll them up at the end of your trip.
Every pro comes along with a con, though. Self-inflated foam can sometimes provide less support than air mattresses that you pump up. You’ll also be more vulnerable to creepy crawlies since these pads are closer to the ground.
But self-inflated mattresses also come with higher R-values and better insulation, meaning they are preferred and necessary for camping in colder weather. However, they are also generally pricier.
Overall, the debate on pump-up vs. self-inflated will likely go on for years to come, so just pick whichever one suits you best.
Insulation And R-Value
The R-value of a material is the resistance to heat flow through that material. The higher the number, the better the insulator.
Most camping air mattresses do not have any R-value rating. They do not provide insulation, and are therefore best for summer camping.
Self-inflating air mattresses and pads on the other hand usually have an R-value rating and here is how to judge its use:
- Summer – R-value of 1.0 to 2.0
- 3-Season – R-value of 2.0 to 4.0
- 4-Season – R-value of 4.0 to 6.0
- Extreme Cold – R-value of 6.0 and above
So as you can see, an R-value of 2.6, like the REI Co-op Kingdom Insulated Air Bed is going to be perfect for 3-season camping.
But, if you are going winter camping, you’ll want to look at the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad.
An air mattress pump is a device used to inflate air mattresses, air bumper, pool floaty, and other similar items.
The pump inflates the product by forcing air into it through an opening at one end. There are several different types:
- Manual Pump – You are going to be the one doing all the work here, typically with a foot pump and hose that attaches into the port
- Battery Powered Pump – This is a portable camping pump typically using D-type batteries, so that you can inflate the air mattress inside of the tent
- Electric Pump – This type of pump will run only on electricity, and you will therefore need to fill the tent at your car or with a portable battery
- Built-in Electric Pump – Similar to the electric pump, only this pump will live inside of the air mattress itself
- Rechargeable Electric Pump – This is our favorite option. You charge it ahead of time, and then can inflate the air mattress inside of your tent
- Self-Inflating – Also a great option, because no work is needed on your part. The mattress itself will self-inflate.
No matter what you pick, make sure that you are prepared. If you have a battery operated pump, make sure to bring extra batteries.
If you have an electric pump, make sure you have a proper power source at your car or the campsite (most campsites do not have electric readily available).
Size, Weight And Weight Limit
The good news is that you can get a camping air mattress in any size from Twin to King. For couples, you’ll want to focus on Queen and King sizes for the most comfort, but a Full/Double can be adequate if needed.
The bad news, is that they will all weigh differing amounts from 3.75 lbs to 25 lbs or more.
So if weight is a factor at all for you (backpackers), you will want to double check the weight of the air mattress.
Lastly, you’ll want to assess the weight limit.
The average camping mattress starts off at 250 lbs and go all the way up to 600 lbs in weight capacity:
- Full – 300 to 500 lbs
- Queen – 450 to 600 lbs
- King – 500 to 600 lbs
Just double check everything to make sure that you are good!
Mattress pads do not specify weight limits, and we haven’t seen any instances of failure.
Comfort and Dimensions
To me, comfort in a mattress is about a couple of things: 1) sleep quality and 2) height off the ground.
Mattress Height – Mattress pads are typically 3-4 inches off the ground, and that is it.
Air mattresses on the other hand range from 6 inches to 18 inches off the ground.
If you want a luxurious feeling similar to home, go with the 18 inch premium SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress.
But on the other hand, if you are camping in a smaller 2 person tent, you will want to look at the 3-4 inch mattress pads like the 3 inch KingCamp Luxury 3D Double Self Inflating Mattress Pad.
Comfort – Obviously this is hard to gage at home, but this is why we read the reviews for you. In general, a quality sleeping pad is going to bring more comfort due to its foam insulation.
It’ll feel more like sleeping on your mattress at home, than on an air mattress.
Air mattresses can be just as comfortable, but without insulation can conduct cold temperatures from the ground and/or deflate.
For this reason, we feel that mattress pads are generally going to give you more comfort. The NEMO Roamer Sleeping Pad has been described as “better than a hotel.”
Tips for Romantic Couples Camping
Of course no couple can be completely comfortable camping without a great couples camping mattress.
Once you have that nailed down, you’ll also want to think about a few other things:
- Reserve a campsite away from other campers
- Getting a nice double sleeping bag to cuddle up in.
- Turning off your devices
- Bringing romantic camp lighting
- Making your favorite meals together
- Brainstorming some couples camping activities, from stargazing to a sunset picnic
But it all starts with the mattress, because without good sleep, it can go downhill very quickly!
Also be sure to grab our couples camping checklist to make sure you have everything you need!
Is an air mattress good for couples camping?
Air mattresses are great for camping because they provide the support and comfort that most of us need to get a good night’s sleep.
They keep you higher up off the ground than mattress pads, and are generally less expensive.
How do I keep my air mattress from deflating while camping?
If you want to prevent your air mattress from deflating, do not exceed its maximum weight capacity, keep an eye out for any air loss, and try not over inflate it.
How thick should a camping mattress pad be?
Generally, sleeping pads should be 2.5 to 3.5 inches thick. Having a pad with a thickness of 3 inches will be high off the ground, very stable, and provide a good amount of insulation.
How much does a camping mattress for couples cost?
Mattresses for couples can cost between $100 and over $500. Air mattresses are usually the least expensive option, with mattress pads coming in on the higher end.
How can I make my camping mattress more comfortable?
You can make your camping mattress more comfortable by deflating or inflating the mattress to your desired comfort level (sometimes an overinflated air mattress isn’t comfortable), by using a mattress topper or pad, or by placing a blanket or two between you and the mattress to get an additional layer between you and the air.
I hope that you found this guide helpful. There’s certainly a lot that goes into the decision of which air mattress to get, especially for couples who might have different sleep preferences.
Personally, I have to say that the ALPS Mountaineering Velocity PVC-Free Air Bed is my top pick out of the options that I covered here. There are a few things that led me to favor it over the other high picks.
For one, its PVC-free construction really takes the durability to a whole new level. The rechargeable pump that comes with it is also top-notch. But most of all, it is big enough for two people to get a great night’s sleep!
If you are going solo camping, or need to get a great camping air mattress for your little ones, check out our list of best camping air mattresses here.